Head of Marketing and Communications
The Head of Marketing and Communications plays a pivotal role in shaping the firm’s external and internal communication strategies, marketing efforts, overall brand positioning and lead generation.
This position is vital to ensure alignment of Vercity’s marketing and communication initiatives with its strategic direction and business goals, primarily focusing on building relationships, enhancing the business reputation, and driving client engagement and business growth. The role involves a blend of leadership, strategic planning, creativity, tech and data-savviness, and analytical skills to effectively communicate the firm’s value proposition, expertise, and services to target audiences, including clients, prospects, and industry partners.
Depending on the experience and capabilities of the person in this role, it is anticipated that it will have a place in Vercity’s Senior Leadership Team which serves as a driving force behind the business, providing strategic vision and direction, making key decisions, fostering collaboration and accountability, to ensure the long-term success of the business.
London. We are happy to discuss flexibility, but as it is a senior role in the business, there is an expectation that the successful person in this role will either be co-located with people in one of our permanent Vercity offices, with project site teams, or in a client’s office for 3-4 days/week, preferably 4.
This role will report into the Head of Strategic Growth
- Strategic Planning: Developing and implementing comprehensive marketing and internal/external communications strategies aligned with the company’s business objectives.
- Brand Management: Developing and maintaining a strong, coherent brand identity that reflects the firm’s values, areas of strategic focus, and market positioning, ensuring consistency across all marketing and communication channels.
- Market Insight: Understanding the competitive landscape, client needs, and industry trends and identifying opportunities which inform strategic marketing and communication plans to position the Vercity effectively in its target markets.
- Content Leadership and Management: Directing the creation and distribution of engaging, insightful and relevant content (such as thought leadership, case studies, and industry analyses) across various platforms to communicate and engage with both current and potential clients. Engage with and motivate staff at all levels to create content and authentically promote the business.
- Digital Marketing: Overseeing our digital marketing strategies, including social media, SEO/SEM, email marketing, and website management, to enhance online presence, engagement and lead generation.
- Reputation Management: Managing the firm’s reputation through proactive public relations and media engagement to maintain a positive public image. Preparing for, and leading on, our response to any public relations crisis or negative press in a way that minimizes damage and maintains the organization’s reputation.
- Networking and Relationships: Building and nurturing relationships with clients, industry influencers, media, and other key stakeholders to enhance the firm’s visibility and market reach. If events (such as “private round tables” and awards) play a role in marketing plans, then this role would be responsible for the overall management and coordination of them.
- Performance Management: Overseeing the marketing budget and measuring and analysing the effectiveness of marketing and communication strategies to refine approaches, demonstrate ROI, and inform future planning.
- Effective procurement and management of the associated supply chain partners including third party support and systems.
- Leadership and Team Development: Leading the marketing and communications team, and supply chain partners, fostering an environment of continuous improvement, innovation, and professional development.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Engaging with internal and external stakeholders, including senior management, partners, and customers, to ensure alignment and support for marketing initiatives.
- Compliance and Ethics: Ensuring all marketing and communications activities comply with legal standards and ethical practices, including data protection and privacy laws.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs):
- We have company-level balanced goals and objectives which includes KPIs relating to People, Culture, Growth and Financial performance.
- The Head of Marketing and Communications will align with these KPIs, but it will be in their remit to propose subsets and operational-level KPIs to help monitor their progress and impact. It is expected that these could include metrics such as: Total number of on-target “Strategic Opportunities”, Number of Overall Leads, Number of Qualified Leads, Conversion rate of Qualified Leads to contractual commitment, Revenue per client, Revenue retention, Growth and Satisfaction (NPS) of identified “Key Clients”.
Summary of other Responsibilities:
In addition to the Key Accountabilities, as a member of Vercity’s Senior Leadership Team, the Head of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for contributing to:
- Leadership and Vision: Providing visionary leadership to inspire and guide teams in the execution of marketing and communication campaigns.
- Always role modelling our corporate values and expected behaviours.
- Talent Development: Using your network to be attracting and retaining top talent, nurturing a culture of innovation, and fostering the development of basic marketing skills (with the support of the Learning and Development element of the HR/People team) which are relevant to leaders of professional services who want to grow their practice area or promote their value propositions.
- Budgeting and Resource Allocation: Overseeing the budgeting process and allocating resources effectively to ensure the successful execution of a Marketing and Communications Plan.
Other specific areas include:
- The custodianship, editorial oversight and development of the Vercity Intranet (the “hub”) which is on the Microsoft platform.
- Research, planning and management of external award submissions.
- Management of subscriptions and memberships of trade bodies and publications.
- Managing the consistent format of case studies, CVs, and any other standard/repeatable content that support business development / bid activities; Ensure all external bid submissions and/or proposals conform to branding guidelines.
Experience and Knowledge
- Leadership Experience: A track record of successful leadership, teamwork and/or team management in their respective field.
- Strategic Thinking and Vision: Demonstrable understanding of the digital marketing landscape, nuances of marketing a people-based/professional services type of business, staying abreast of emerging technologies, and industry trends and bringing them into a business context.
- Technology Proficiency: Having a strong grasp of various digital technologies and platforms for Customer Relationship Management, social media, online marketing, SEO/PPC, gated content, etc. The Head of “Marcomms” does not need to be a technical expert in these areas but should understand how these technologies can be leveraged to drive business growth and value.
- Experience in Professional Services: Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities within the professional services industry is beneficial.
- Change Management: Proven experience in implementing change and overcoming resistance with various management techniques to help the respective organization navigate through the transition smoothly.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Proven experience in using data to communicate issues, options and decisions.
- Client-Centric Approach: Client-facing experience of co-creating solutions, seeking/responding to feedback and meeting clients’ expectations with the outcomes.
- Collaboration and Communication: Demonstrate effective cross-business communication and collaboration to align everyone towards common goals.
- Business Strategy Alignment: A successful candidate will be able to demonstrate how they can bridge the gap between marketing and communications and business objectives.
In addition to all the leadership qualities previously set out we expect the Head of Marketing and Communications to be able to demonstrate:
- An innovative Mind: Forward-thinking and open to exploring new ideas and innovative solutions. Encouraging experimentation and a culture of innovation will help advance Vercity.
- Adaptability and Resilience: Able to navigate through challenges, learn from setbacks, and guide others through various transitions
- Continuous Learning: The marketing, and particularly digital marketing and engagement, landscape evolves rapidly. Possessing a ‘growth mindset’ and demonstrating a commitment to continuous learning; Staying up to date with industry trends, seeking opportunities for personal and professional development, and encouraging a culture of learning in every part of Vercity.
- A passion for driving change, continuous improvement and developing people.
- Unlikely to have less than 7-10 years of experience in marketing and communications with a track record of personal growth. There is a preference for candidates who have worked in different industries, including professional services or similar people-based sectors. This experience should demonstrate a track record of successful marketing and communications strategies and campaigns.
In addition to their work experience, we would prefer candidates with any or all of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, Communications, Business Administration, or a related field providing a solid foundation in key marketing principles, strategic planning, and communication skills.
- Master’s Degree (optional but advantageous) in Business Administration (MBA) or a related master’s degree specializing in marketing or communications.
- Professional Certifications from recognized professional bodies would enhance a candidate’s attractiveness for this role. These could include:
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) qualifications
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) qualifications
- Digital marketing certifications, such as those from the Digital Marketing Institute (DMI)
The role description is subject to periodic review and is intended to reflect the general responsibilities of the role-holder who may change over time with the corporate and local business needs of Vercity.
Please send us your name, contact details, CV and cover letter here.